Currently, there are no guided public tours of the grounds. The public is welcome to visit the grounds during normal daylight hours. Access to the site can sometimes be restricted during the summer months due to youth camps and events.
For general information about the site or to check whether access to the site is restricted on the day of your planned visit, feel free to contact us at 304-269-5100.
For information on educational programs, check out our Youth Education Programs Page.
About the Historic Area at WVU Jackson's Mill
The Historic Area offers an interesting glimpse into the history of this region. The Jacksons settled here around 1800 and eventually owned around 1500 acres of surrounding land. From about 1831-1842 this included Thomas Jackson (who later gained fame during the Civil War where he was given the nickname “Stonewall”) and his sister Laura Jackson. After many years and changes in ownership, only a small plot of land (around 5 acres) remained and was deeded to the state of West Virginia for the purposes of creating the state 4-H camp. The first camp was held in 1921 in what is now the “Historic Area”. The camp which exists today grew and developed over the coming years. Today, the site features historic and replica buildings in this area which are used during educational programs and events held at the site.
Buildings in the Historic Area to Note
The Jackson Mill
The Old Mill Building is the last remaining structure from the time when the Jackson Family owned the land. This building was the primary business and livelihood for the Jackson’s at Jackson’s Mill. It ceased operation in 1892 and was the only building remaining by the time of the first 4-H camp in 1921.
The Blaker Mill
Constructed in Greenbrier County in 1794. It was moved and carefully reconstructed in the 1980s. Since 1993, the mill has operated through the use of a millpond constructed on site. Demonstrations occur during tours and special events.
The McWhorter Cabin
Carefully disassembled and moved to Jackson’s Mill in 1927 where it was reconstructed, the McWhorter Cabin was originally located in present-day Jane Lew in 1793.
The Mary Conrad Cabin
Carefully moved to Jackson’s Mill in the early 1990s, the Mary Conrad Cabin is the last remaining structure of an early community that existed near the modern-day Stonewall Jackson Lake. It was originally built in 1845 (with the back portion being added around 1855).
The Blacksmith Shop
A replica of a blacksmith and carpentry shop—both of which were noted as existing at Jackson’s Mill during the height of its operation—was reconstructed to provide demonstrations and classes during tours and events.
A replica of a barn—which appears in old photographs of the site—was constructed as a space to feature exhibits.
There are 3 “artisan” cabins which were built to offer exhibition and classroom space for heritage arts and crafts which can be featured during programs and events. These are the result of the generosity of donors and a vital partnership between West Virginia University and The Barnwood Builders.
The Mountain State Building
Built as a result of the generosity of donors, the assistance of volunteers, and the donation of labor and materials from Mountain State Log Homes, Inc. The building is an exhibition and classroom space for programs in the Historic Area. A large porch overlooks the millpond. (There is no public fishing allowed in the pond.)